Thread: Review of King.com and Worldwinner.com

Default Review of King.com and Worldwinner.com

After playing quite a lot of games on both King.com and Worldwinner.com I'd like to share my thoughts about them and explain why I think King.com is the better choice for me.

Worldwinner.com

Worldwinner.com is a US based website and has been around for since 1999. My first payout at worldwinner.com literally took 3 business days, pretty darn fast!

Also, they offer live chat sessions regarding most of your problems from Monday to Friday from 1pm - 10pm. So far they have answered my questions fairly well. I recently sent them an email regarding their FairRanking System: I believe I was unfairly matched; it's worth a seperate thread.

Worldwinner.com only offers tournaments with fixed prizes; even with Limited Time tournaments, no matter how many people sign up for it, the 1st place price (and the other prizes) will stay the same. This means that if a limited time tournament with a $1 entry fee has $100 in prizes, and 200 people play in that tournament, then Worldwinner has made quite a bit of profit don't you think?

All the matching that takes place on Worldwinner.com (with the exception of lobby games) is not the least bit transparent to the members. How do we know that their FairMatching system works like advertised? On King.com members at least get to see what their individual game rankings are. If you're wondering, your Player Level on Worldwinner.com is not used during the matching process as your Player Level only shows how many games you have won. Your Player Level can only increase.

You also have the option of trading in reward points which you earn by playing games for gift cards, in game credit, and if you play long enough you can even get yourself a 60GB iPod (I'm 3.7% close to getting one )

-------------
    + Fast payouts
    + Live chat support (Mo-Fr)
    + Withdraw/Deposit with Paypal
    + Trade reward points for cash or prizes
    - Fixed prizes for all games
    - No 1vs1 games (free & cash) with exception of lobby games
    - FairMatching system is not clear
    -------------

King.com

The UK based company King.com was created in 2003 and is the biggest skill gaming site in the world. To date, they offer over 70 different skill games on their website in 9 different languages using 7 different currencies.

Like Worldwinner.com, King.com also offers members the possibility to deposit and withdraw money using their Paypal accounts, however, the withdrawal process takes 14 days which I find a bit long, but considering the millions of members on the website it's also understandable.

On King.com you will always be able to play any game for free as many times as you want against other people.

King.com offers a different type of tournament which has a dynamic jackpot. These are called progressive jackpots because the more members that play in the tournament, the higher the cash prizes which are awarded to the top 33% of all players in the tournament.

For each game on King.com, you receive a seperate ranking starting at 2000. This increases and decreases depending on the following factors:

- Amount of money won or lost
    - Skill of your opponents
    - Number of times played
    - Performance in Jackpot tournaments
    - and other factors...

(from http://www.king.com/support/howItWor...n_US&topicId=3)

For all games you play you receive jewels. Apart from bragging rights and additional community features (Avatars, Guestbook, Photo Album, Blog etc.), there is nothing more to them. They aren't worth anything and can't be traded in for prizes. If only they would introduce a system to trade in those fine looking jewels for something...

-------------
    + Wide variety of cash games
    + Withdraw/Deposit with Paypal
    + Well designed website
    + Available in 9 languages and 7 currencies
    - Slow payouts
    - Jewels are worthless
    -------------

Final/random thoughts:
    When comparing the two I noticed that the highest entry fee at Worldwinner.com and King.com is $45 and $7 respectively. Overall, the games at Worldwinner.com have a higher entry fee and higher prizes which means it's possible to earn or loss money easier there, so it's very very important that you can control your game habits and know when to stop playing after you've lost a lot of money. It's happened to me before and I tend not to be very focused when I'm angry which almost always leads to a sad ending.

Looking at the system of both of these skill gaming websites as a whole, I can't help but feel sorry for all the people that have only lost money. Let me explain. All new players start off by depositing $10 - $30 dollars. This creates a money pool from which everyone pays entry fees, i.e. all the prize money comes from member deposits. So now let's say, a week after depositing $10 I now have $100 in my account, which as you know, comes from the deposits of members. If you give this some thought, then you'll realize that there are frustrated people on these sites that are loosing money to people like me. The more people that join, the bigger the money pool, the more you can earn using your skill (or the users' lack of skill).

I hope this review is of value to whoever reads it. If you'd like to comment on a specific point or add pros or cons to either site then please do so.
    Last edited by birmu; 03-01-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Hi Birmu! Thanks for taking the time to share this with us! If you don't mind though, I'd like to address a few points.

In your Worldwinner pros/cons, you list "Limited number of warm-ups games." What do you mean by this? If you're talking of the free game listed as 'Warm-up', then there's no limit to how many you can play. One can play those to their heart's delight, and I use it for practice quite a bit.

Also, you say that Worldwinner withholds 30% of your winnings if you're not a U.S. player, which is true, but I think that could use a bit of context so it's not misinterpreted (We're not Fox News here). Your winnings at Worldwinner are taxed by U.S. law. Since Worldwinner is a U.S. based company, even if you're not a U.S. citizen, you still have to be taxed on the money you've made there. This can be done either through non-resident tax forms along with the standard tax-forms, or by allowing worldwinner to withhold the taxed amount and sending it to the IRS.

Lastly, I have been unsuccessfull in finding the exact amount that is deducted from the tournament entry fees that go to Worldwinner.com as management fees. Unless they're doing something shady, members have the right to know how much of their money is actually going to the company.
    Why is that a right? And moreover, if knowing the amount deducted for management fees is a right, how is this a violation of the alleged right? You can find this amount by taking the number of entrants in a given tournament, multiplying that number by the entry fee, then subtracting the prize payout to see how much Worldwinner deducts.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    In your Worldwinner pros/cons, you list "Limited number of warm-ups games." What do you mean by this? If you're talking of the free game listed as 'Warm-up', then there's no limit to how many you can play. One can play those to their heart's delight, and I use it for practice quite a bit.
    I'll fix that right away, I was confusing Warm-Up games with Training games.

Regarding the tax withholdings, I added that last minute so I'll remove it for the time being and address that issue when I have some time.

As far as the management fee is concerned, yes, I am a little picky when it comes to those kind of things, and after looking at 7 tournaments, the highest management fee percentage was 30% and the lowest was 14% with an average of 24% which is not bad at all when compared to King.com which charges 25%, so I'll edit that part out as well as it's not necessary.

Thanks for your input Johan!
    Last edited by birmu; 03-01-2008 at 06:38 PM.

I'll write a real review for both sites in a bit, but here's my lazy mini-review:

King.com:

+ If you play better than your actual ranking you will win 95% of the time
    + Everyone gets the same layout in a game of Bejeweled
    + Carnival Shootout rocks, I like shooting defenseless animals
    - Can't make a living off King
    - After reaching 9500 rank in Bejeweled, scoring 12,000 doesn't mean a guaranteed win anymore...
    - The 14 day turnaround for payment is kinda long

Worldwinner:

+ Potential to win boatloads of money, premium tournaments make earning cash a lot faster
    + Rewards Points are a great incentive to keep playing cash games
    + Better version of Bejeweled 2
    + For an avatar, you get to pick a sheep doing its "O" face
    - Once you reach "highest" or "higher" ranks in most of the games you have to be pretty damn good to win frequently
    - No one shares the same layout in Bejeweled 2, it's a crapshoot
    - If you get careless you can lose your money fast
    - Chuzzle sucks on WW, replace it with King's version ASAP plz

Which do I personally prefer? I actually like playing on King.com more than WW, for certain games featured -- and I am much more comfortable playing on BJ there knowing that the boards aren't randomly assigned. When it's time to make cash though, I switch over to WW.

It's not only Premiums that allow for lots of money in Worldwinner. With the level of activity on that site and the entry-fee/prize ratio, you could play exclusively the 5-player, $1 tournaments and get better income than a part-time job salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    It's not only Premiums that allow for lots of money in Worldwinner. With the level of activity on that site and the entry-fee/prize ratio, you could play exclusively the 5-player, $1 tournaments and get better income than a part-time job salary.
    easier said than done on BJ, aka crapshoots